Clear all

This is the new home of Yellow and Black Online  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
Coach
(@coach)
Legend Coach

As mentioned in my last post on the site:

I am aware that some members of the site have voiced their concerns about the number of times that I’ve changed the software that runs on this site. I have made no secret of the fact that I like Yellow and Black to use software that I can learn from and perhaps use elsewhere.

With the forum software used by the now old site (Discourse) I dad to admit that I’d bitten off more than I coukd chew, that’s for sure. While I believe that the software itself is superior to other forum software that is currently available; for a ‘tinkerer’ like myself, it was driving me crazy! There were restrictions on many aspects of the software and I am unfamiliar with the programming language - Ruby on Rails - and even less so when it comes to the ‘container’ on the server in which it runs. The software doesn't even have a setting for closing the site!

Needless to say, this had reduced my enjoyment of the site as I no longer had the same control. I have tried offering to pay programmers to migrate from this forum to other software. The response is the same - it’s too difficult and nobody has ever moved FROM Discourse rather than TO Discourse so they aren’t keen to take it on.

Things to take into account with this new software:

• 2018 posts won't be found here. I'm working on a way to get a read only or to migrate the discussions.
  • Your E-mail address is the same as what it was before the last software move. I'm working on updating them, so if you don't have access to your old E-mail address, send me a PM with the details and I'll fix the issue.
  • I'm working on the colour scheme Smile
  • Please don't log any issues (other than you can't login)
  • If you can't login, do a password reset (remembering that it'll go to the last E-mail address you had in December 2017). If all else fails, send me a message
  • Enjoy!

Cheers!
Coach

2020 AFLW Membership
2020 Richmond Cheer Squad Membership

Posted : 11/11/2018 14:59
Mr Babilla
(@mr-babilla)
All Star

All the changes have left me behind I’m afraid guys. My opinion, the place has well and truly lost it’s mojo.

Football doesn't build character, it just eliminates the weak ones

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2018 09:22
Bones
(@bones)
500 Games

'Mr Babilla' wrote:
All the changes have left me behind I’m afraid guys. My opinion, the place has well and truly lost it’s mojo.

Possibly because it needs more Cartagena nightlife.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2018 17:21
Coach
(@coach)
Legend Coach

'Mr Babilla' wrote:

Sorry to hear that you feel that way. I know that this most recent change was sudden which I know may have taken people by surprise.

This new software brings the site closer to how it used to be. I have tried to generate some interest in turning the site into a blog and forum however, now concede that the most popular format appears to be as a forum only so made the decision to go with that.

I look forward to the future and the hope that the site regains at least some of its mojo in time for the 2019 season!

Cheers!
Coach

2020 AFLW Membership
2020 Richmond Cheer Squad Membership

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2018 17:47
Mr Babilla
(@mr-babilla)
All Star

Ned wrote:
[quote='Mr Babilla']

Sorry to hear that you feel that way. I know that this most recent change was sudden which I know may have taken people by surprise.

This new software brings the site closer to how it used to be. I have tried to generate some interest in turning the site into a blog and forum however, now concede that the most popular format appears to be as a forum only so made the decision to go with that.

I look forward to the future and the hope that the site regains at least some of its mojo in time for the 2019 season!

No worries Ned, I realise it’s a massive labor of love, and your work is awesome. I just liked the original, and I haven’t been able to get into the various iterations since.

I really hope it gets back to it’s old vibrant self.

Good luck with it, and thanks for all your work over the years.

Football doesn't build character, it just eliminates the weak ones

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2018 18:44
Vosstiger
(@vosstiger)
Hall of Famer

The more people like yourself that visit and comment and it will generate. It's always quiet at this time of year

Sponsor of Daniel Butler 2015-17
2005-2014 Sponsor of Daniel Jackson
Member of Yellow and Black the greatest of all Football Sites.:cool:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2018 19:08
thebigricho
(@thebigricho)
Legend

'Vosstiger' wrote:
The more people like yourself that visit and comment and it will generate. It's always quiet at this time of year

There's quiet and there's quiet VT. At the moment we make the morgue look like a rave. 

At one stage we had a Y and B rally where anyone connected to a former member tried to encourage them to drop in. Might be worth another go.

If you're committed enough, you can make any story work.

I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2018 21:58
Vosstiger
(@vosstiger)
Hall of Famer

Things will build again slowly we have a bit of churn at the moment. We may not reach 100000 members though. Interesting that if we were performing worse there would be much more comment.

It’s just what it is TBR

Sponsor of Daniel Butler 2015-17
2005-2014 Sponsor of Daniel Jackson
Member of Yellow and Black the greatest of all Football Sites.:cool:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2018 22:24
Page 2 / 2

Leave a reply

Create Poll 
Poll Details

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Advertisements